History of Saint Patrick School
St. Patrick School is a Parochial school, and part of the educational system of the Diocese of Oakland. Fr. George Moss, Pastor of St. Patrick Parish, opened the school in the fall of 1956, enrolling students in the 1st through 4th grades. During the 1957-58 school year the building was completed by adding rooms for fifth through eight grades, a library, parish kitchen, and a hall to be used as a temporary church/auditorium. The Immaculate Heart Sisters have staffed the school since its opening. In 2001, the sisters returned to their mother house in Arizona.
When the school burned to the ground in April, 1982, the students finished the year at our neighboring school, Saint Joseph School. The school used portable buildings until the completion of the present building. Bishop Cummings dedicated the new building on Feb. 15, 1983. In the fall of 1989, the first kindergarten class opened in a rented portable.
With encouragement from Fr. Paul Engberg, the construction of two new Junior High classrooms began in August, 1990 with most of the labor done by parents and volunteers. The construction was completed on May, 1991 under the direction of Rev. Father Melvin Hary.
In addition to the usual grade school curriculum, St. Patrick School offers technology, coding, Spanish, physical education, and music instruction to all students, Transitional Kindergarten through eighth grade, Pre-Algebra to the seventh graders, Algebra to the eighth graders, and Art to the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth graders. Saint Patrick School has a garden where students learn how to plant, maintain, and cook fruits and vegetables.
In 2001, the first lay principal was hired. In 2002, a pre-school was opened in the old convent with an enrollment of 30 children. In the following years, the preschool has expanded to include 45 students and 20 babies aged 6 weeks to two and a half years. Saint Patrick School is one of 4 Catholic schools in the country that offers Infant Care. By 2008, Saint Patrick School was able to offer students one-to-one technology in the Middle School and a full Computer Lab and 3 ipad labs for grades K-5. In 2010 the school completed new Middle School buildings that allowed 6-8 grade to be together in the Junior High area. The building also includes a state of the art Science Lab and School Garden.
The present pastor of St. Patrick Parish and School is Father Larry Young.